Using the HMRC app to make Self-Assessment tax payments
A new press release from HMRC has revealed that more than 50,000 taxpayers have used the HMRC app to make Self-Assessment tax payments since February 2022. Payments can be made safely and securely through the app. In October alone, more than 6,700 Self-Assessment taxpayers paid almost £5.9 million in tax via the HMRC app, compared to around 2,500 customers in February 2022, who paid £1.8 million.
Commenting on the payments, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said:
'We’re seeing more and more people embrace the convenience and flexibility the HMRC app offers. Self-Assessment customers can pay the tax owed through the HMRC app, which is a secure and convenient tool that can be used at a time and place to suit them.'
The free HMRC tax app is available to download from the App Store for iOS and from the Google Play Store for Android.
The app can also be used to complete a number of other tasks that include:
- to renew and report changes to your tax credits;
- access your Help to Save account;
- using HMRC’s tax calculator to work out your take home pay after Income Tax and National Insurance deductions;
- track forms and letters you’ve sent to us;
- claim a refund if you’ve paid too much tax; and
- update your postal address.